Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Email to a Friend Print friendly

Here you can find answers related to commonly asked questions. Click on a subject heading below to view a question related to your concern. Some answers will contain links to further help you. If you do not see a question posted here, you can contact us.



How Do I Apply?

To apply for admission to Trocaire College, you can complete either the online or paper application. You can apply online for FREE at or download an application here. (Adobe Acrobat reader is required). Applications should be mailed and to:

Trocaire College
Office of Admissions
360 Choate Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14220

Transcripts may be mailed to the above address or faxed to: 716.828.6107

What is needed to complete the admissions application process?

You will need to submit the following materials to process your application:

  1. Official Transcripts from High School (required for everyone).
  2. If you did not finish High School, we will need the High School Transcript up to the time you stopped attending, as well as an Official GED Transcript.
  3. Official College Transcripts from any college(s) you have attended.
  4. Placement Test Results: Placement Test appointments can be made by calling the Office of Admissions at (716) 827-2545 or the Palisano Center for Academic Success at (716) 827-2521. You can find a Sample Placement Test at the bottom of this page.
  5. A $25.00 application fee (Free Online).

Do I need the SAT / ACT for admission?

We do not require the SAT / ACT for admission. However, we do recommend that you still take them. If you have taken the test, feel free to forward your scores to the Office of Admissions for review.

How soon will I hear if I am accepted to Trocaire?

We have a rolling admissions policy; in other words, we review applications throughout the entire year. After we have received all of the necessary information, it takes about 4 weeks to hear back regarding acceptance.

Is there a deadline for applying?

There is no set deadline for submitting an application. We simply require that the admissions process be completed prior to the start of the next semester. Please note that several programs do fill up quickly, so you will want to check on the status of a specific program with the Office of Admissions.

Are there spots still available for my program?

Again, please note that several programs do fill up quickly, so you will want to check on the status of a specific program with the Office of Admissions. The best advice we can give is to apply as early as possible for your chosen program in order to have the best opportunity to be accepted and obtain a spot.

What does it cost to apply to Trocaire?

The application fee is $25 (Free if applying online)

Can my application fee be waived?

There is no application fee for students that apply for admission online. Students using the paper application should speak with an admissions counselor, high school counselor, or contact the Office of Admissions regarding an application fee waiver.

What are the hours for the placement tests?

Please contact the Admissions Office at 716-827-2545 to find out when we offer the placement test.

How do I prepare for the ACCUPLACER placement test?

You may visit these websites to prepare for the ACCUPLACER placement test: Click on Free ACCUPLACER Practice to find: Sentence Skills Practice – Part 1, Sentence Skills Practice – Part 2 Reading Comprehension Practice Test – Part 1, Reading Comprehension Practice Test – Part 2, Accuplacer Elementary Algebra Practice



I have other college credits that I would like to transfer to Trocaire. What should I do?

Official copies of college transcripts are required for an official transfer evaluation. Transfer evaluations are normally done as part of the admissions process. Prior to registering for classes, you will receive a transfer evaluation from the Registrar. You may also make an appointment with an Admissions Counselor to discuss transferring from another college.

How do I know what will transfer to Trocaire?

Transfer students will receive credit for college courses which are equivalent to those offered at Trocaire College. Only courses completed with a grade of "C" or better are acceptable for transfer. The acceptance of advanced credit is tentative until the student has completed one semester of satisfactory work at Trocaire.

How many credits can I transfer in with at Trocaire?

Evaluation of transfer credits is completed through the Registrar in consultation with the Dean and Program Director. Placement of a student into a program is dependent upon the amount of transfer credit granted. Please note that a student must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours at Trocaire to be eligible for a degree. A student must complete 50% of his / her course work here to be eligible for a Trocaire College Certificate.

Can I transfer from Trocaire to another school or a 4 year school?

Trocaire College has signed agreements with numerous four-year colleges and universities within the Western New York area and beyond our geographic region. The articulation agreement facilitates an effective transfer of credit for those students who wish to continue their education beyond an Associates Degree. View our outline of articulation and dual admissions agreements.

The Dual Admission Agreement provides the student the opportunity to attend Trocaire for the Associates Degree and then to continue their studies for a Bachelor's Degree with the assurance that credits from Trocaire will apply to the designated program at four-year institutions. The Dual Admission Agreement also provides a single admission process for both colleges and academic advisement from both institutions. Students are to keep in mind that new agreements are negotiated annually and credits usually transfer to most colleges, whether or not they are listed. This is why it is important for the student to begin the transfer admission process with their academic advisor at registration or during their first semester at Trocaire. The Director of the Career Center is available to assist students in the transfer process.



How much does it cost to attend Trocaire?

Full-time tuition and fees for the current Academic year can be found here.

Does Trocaire offer scholarships? How can I apply for one?

A wide variety of scholarship opportunities are available at Trocaire College. All freshman applicants are reviewed by the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices for institutionally funded scholarships. Eligible students are forwarded a scholarship application that must be completed and returned to the Admissions Office. Continuing students must contact the Student Affairs Office at the beginning of the spring semester for a list of scholarships and the criteria for each.

What state grants are available?

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is available to all eligible New York residents attending Trocaire College. New York residents who complete the FAFSA will be sent a separate TAP application, which they must complete and file by the stated deadline. For more information, explore the New York State site. Rhode Island, Vermont, Michigan, Washington DC and Oregon offer grant programs to their residents who attend New York colleges. Contact the state education department or your high school guidance counselor for further information.

What if I don't know what program I would like to pursue?

You may set up an appointment with an Admissions Counselor and we can discuss the programs we offer at Trocaire. You can also make an appointment with the Career Center to discuss what you may be inclined to do. You can also take career assessment tests to determine what likely occupations may be for you.

What is the difference between being a matriculated and non-matriculated student?

A matriculated student is a student who has filed an application to be admitted to a degree or certificate program, has been officially accepted, and has registered for the specific term for which he or she has been accepted. Matriculated students may attend on a full-time or part-time basis. A non-matriculated student is one who has enrolled in one, but no more than two credit courses, and has not been admitted as a degree or certificate candidate in any program within the college.

How many credit hours do I need to take to be a full time student?

Students must carry a minimum of 12 credit hours (and up to 19 credit hours) to have full-time status. Part-time is considered 11 credit hours or less.

Is housing available to students at Trocaire?

Although there is no on-campus housing, information is available to students regarding apartments and private homes in the Trocaire vicinity through the Student Affairs Department. For more information contact Claire Darstein at 716.827.2577.

What parking is available on campus?

Parking is on a first-come first-serve basis on the streets surrounding the campus. Free parking is also available in the Salem Lutheran Church parking lot on Whitfield Avenue in the visitor's parking area which is located 4 rows back from the church. Whitfield Avenue is located off McKinley Parkway near the McClellan Circle. At the end of Choate Ave., take the 3rd exit at the circle onto McKinley Parkway and turn left onto Whitfield Avenue. The church will be on your left hand side. There is also a parking garage available for Evening Students Only (After 3pm) for a small fee per evening. Students are also able to park at the Knights of Columbus parking lot located at 261 S. Legion Drive Buffalo, NY 14220. The Trocaire shuttle runs from this parking lot and the Salem Lutheran parking lot.

What is student life like at Trocaire?

Students have numerous opportunities to get involved at Trocaire through a variety of clubs, organizations, and extra-curricular activities to fit all interests and age levels. For a complete listing visit the Student Life page. Also, with its location, Trocaire is just minutes away from some of Buffalo's best major attractions including nightlife, sports, shopping, and entertainment.

Where is Trocaire College located?

Trocaire College is located at 360 Choate Avenue in Buffalo, New York. The campus is located just off Abbott Road and is adjacent to Mercy Hospital in historic South Buffalo. Trocaire is easy to find and easy to access from all major transportation routes including the New York State Thruway I-90 and I-190, as well as public transportation via the NFTA Metro Bus service. For directions please view our online map.

Trocaire's new extension site, the Russell J. Salvatore School of Hospitality & Business, is located at:
6681 Transit Road in Williamsville, NY.

What if I have a disability?

In support of the Mission of Trocaire College, the role of the Palisano Center for Academic Success is to provide students with the tools for strategic learning, and skills fundamental to college success and beyond. Its primary goals are to promote an environment that maximizes student learning and to support the instruction of faculty. For more information, visit