Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid is dedicated to helping students and parents obtain the financial aid necessary to pay for a college education at Trocaire College. 93% of Trocaire students receive some form of financial assistance - scholarships, grants, loans and work-study. This site is designed to help you with the financial aid process.

Financial Aid


Office Hours

Monday & Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Tuesday & Wednesday 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Choate Avenue Campus: Room 113


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only form that a student is required to complete to be considered for student assistance from any of the Title IV, HEA programs.  Complete the NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) form if you are a New York State resident attending a New York State school full-time.

Important Links and Resources

Information on Federal Student Financial Aid Programs:
Information on NYS Financial Aid Programs:
To request a FSA ID: (Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records and it is critical that it remain as secure as possible.)
To request a PIN number: (Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records and it is critical that it remain as secure as possible.)
To complete your FAFSA:
To complete your TAP application:
To complete a loan entrance counseling
To complete your Master Promissory Note (E-MPN)
To complete a loan exit interview

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Withdrawals & Return of Title IV Funds

Code of Conduct

Financial Aid information


The Financial Aid Office will no longer be sending out paper award letters. It is now MANDATORY for all current students to accept/deny awards on your student portal for EACH semester. If you have any questions please call or stop in the Financial Aid Office, Room 113.


New 2015-2016 FAFSA Information

When filing the 2015-2016 FAFSA, the IRS Data Retrieval option is available to students and parents approximately 2 weeks after electronically submitting the 2014 federal tax return. If the 2014 federal tax return is going to be paper filed, then it will take approximately 6-8 weeks for this option to be available. By using the IRS Data Retrieval, it allows the student/parent to transfer their tax information onto the FAFSA form. We strongly encourage students/parent(s) to use this option when filing the 2015-2016 FAFSA.  If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval, then you may be required to request yours/your parent(s) 2014 Tax Return Transcripts.

Financial Literacy

The information below will help you make informed financial decisions throughout your college years and into your professional life.  The sites listed below will assist you in various financial topics such as budget planning, identity theft, and credit reports.

Financial Avenue – an online interactive learning tool

Additional Resources

CashCourse - The information here will help you make informed financial decisions throughout your college years and into your professional life.

Federal Reserve Bank -



Federal Grants


Awarded to undergraduates. Grant is based on student's financial need.

*Pell has a lifetime limit.  A student cannot exceed the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters.

*Pell counts any previous semesters used at another institution.

The amount changes each year. Currently for 2015-2016, $581-$5,775 per year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Awarded to undergraduates based on "exceptional" financial need.

The amount changes each year. Currently for 2015-2016, $600-$1,300.

New York State Grant

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Based on Financial Need.

*TAP has a lifetime limit.  An Associate's Degree/Certificate student cannot exceed 6 semesters.  A Bachelor's Degree student cannot exceed 8 semesters.

*TAP counts any previous semesters used at another institution.

Currently for 2015-2016, $500-$5,165 per year.

The two major sources are the Federal Pell program and the State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). Please note: Anyone convicted and having completed incarceration for a forcible or non-forcible sexual offense is ineligible to receive a Federal Pell grant.


The following websites provide scholarship information for prospective, new, and current students in a variety of professional fields. Trocaire College provides these websites as a student resource only. The college maintains no professional relationship with these websites and derives no benefit in offering them as a resource to you.


The Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo
Nicholas Patterson Fund/Scholarships
Rooth Bert Fund
CampusRN Scholarship Program
College NET
College Scholarship
Discover Nursing
Fast AID
Fast Web
Fast Web College Gold
Federal Student Aid
NY State Higher Education Services Corp.
SallieMae College Answer
Scholarship America
Scholarship Experts
The College Board
The National Database of Scholarships
The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
UCLA's Scholarship Resource Center 


Please review this website for information regarding scholarship scams:

Internal Scholarships

An institutional grant, award or scholarship is funding given to a student by the college. Trocaire College is dedicated to keeping the cost of an education as low as possible. We help our students by awarding funding from a number of sources. The college has many generous alumni who donate funds for our students, as well as area corporations, college employees, private friends, and the college itself.

You are considered for institutional grants and scholarships as soon as you apply to Trocaire College. Once you submit an application and the required information for admissions, an appointment will be made with an Admission's counselor. At that interview, the counselor has the ability to discuss your educational objectives and potential eligibility for certain awards. At the end of the interview, the counselor will take you to a Financial Aid counselor. If you have completed your FAFSA (online application for Federal Aid) the counselor will determine if you are eligible for additional aid based on your financial need.

What institutional grants and scholarships are available, how much are they worth, and what is the criteria to get one?


Trocaire Grant - This grant is determined by the Financial Aid counselor and is based on your economic need. It generally amounts to $700-$1,200 annually.


Academic Achievement Award - Awarded to transfer students or first time college students who have been out of school for a minimum of five years.  The scholarship is awarded based on GPA and financial need.  Students must complete the FAFSA prior to review.  The scholarship award is for $2,000 each and is awarded by the Admission's Office.  The Academic Achievement Scholarship is available for four semesters if the student maintains a 2.5 average or higher.  The award will be prorated if the student drops below full-time.


Presidential Scholarship - Awarded to high school seniors.  The scholarship is based on GPA, community service and a recommendation from either a guidance counselor, teacher or principal.  The scholarship award is for $3,000 each and is awarded by the Admission's Office. The Presidential Scholarship is available for four semesters if the student maintains a 2.5 average or higher.  The award will be prorated if the student drops below full-time.

New scholarships will be available each Spring semester

During the Spring semester, the college will make applications available for scholarships and awards to eligible students. These scholarships are donated by many friends of the college, alumni and Trocaire College employees. Donors take great pride in knowing that their contributions are making a difference in the educational lives of our students.

These scholarships are awarded to current Trocaire College students to be applied towards future semester tuition expenses. Radiologic Technology students graduating in the summer are eligible for scholarships as the award can be put towards the summer's tuition.

Unfortunately, there are not enough scholarships for every student or every applicant. So if you choose to apply for any of these scholarships, please take your time in filling out the application, as they are competitive. A committee of faculty and staff read through all of the submissions to decide which students most closely meet the criteria defined in the application.

Scholarship and award winners have the opportunity to meet the donors at the annual Honors Convocation. This is a special event with great meaning for all involved. 

Applications for these scholarships will be available in mid-January - please contact the Financial Aid Office at that time.


Alumni Discount

This is a discount for graduates of our Associate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree programs.  It allows the student to take up to 6 credit hours per academic year at the college with a 30% discount. This discount applies to tuition only.  Applicants must pay applicable fees.

A form is required to be filed with the Student Accounts Office before the discount is applied to a student’s account. Contact the Student Accounts Office or Financial Aid Office for the form.

BSN Discount

This is a discount for a student enrolling in the Bachelor’s of Nursing program. It allows the student to receive a 20% discount per semester. This discount applies to tuition only minus any TAP or institutional and outside grants/scholarships a student may receive.  Applicants must pay applicable fees.

HCI Discount

For the 2014-2015 academic year, the Healthcare Informatics (HCI) program is eligible for a 30% tuition discount.  This discount applies to tuition only minus any TAP or institutional and outside grants/scholarships a student may receive.  Applicants must pay applicable fees.

*** Students MUST file the 2015-2016 FAFSA form in order to be eligible for the BSN or HCI discount.***

Tuition (Academic Year 2015-2016)

Full Time, per semester (12-19 credit hours) - $7,985

Over 19 credit hours - additional per credit hour - $200

Part Time, per credit hour - $660

College Fee (Per Semester)

6 credit hours or more - $160

1-5 credit hours - $27 per credit hour

Summer - $25

Miscellaneous Fees

Lab Fee, per course (Business, Science & Computer) $45

Lab Fee, per course (Anatomy & Physiology I & II) $50

Application Fee, non refundable (payable at the time of application) $25

Transcript Fee, Official Copy & Student Copy - No Charge

Fee for checks returned for non-sufficient funds - $25

Health Care Clinical Fees

Per Semester - $625

Includes Program fee, materials cost, malpractice insurance, etc.

Course Fees

Course Fee, CNT 101 - Introduction to Computer Hardware - $600
Includes the cost of computer components needed to assemble a computer, which becomes the property of the student

Course Fee, CNT 210 - Network Administration - $600
Includes the cost of computer components needed to assemble a server, which becomes the property of the student

Summer Clinical Costs

  • Diagnostic Medical Sonography - $3,852
  • Echocardiography - $3,852
  • Radiologic Technology - $3,852

Tuition does not include the cost of room and board either at home or in independent off-campus housing, cost of books, uniforms, etc. Clinical fees for health science students, per semester, includes the program fee, materials cost, malpractice insurance, etc. College Fee includes student publications, orientation, cultural fee, ID cards, health services, employment references and referrals, library, accident insurance, graduation, registration fee, student activities, etc.

All fees are subject to change. Contact the Admissions Office for the most up-to-date information.

Federal Direct Loan Information

Whether you are a dependent or independent student, it is likely that you will need to borrow some funds to pay for your college education. A loan will help to fill in any financial gaps.

  • Trocaire College participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.
  • The amount of Federal Direct Loan that you have been awarded has been based on your class year as determined by the Admissions Office upon admission. You MUST be enrolled at least 6 credit hours during any given semester to be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan.
  • The actual loan amount you will receive is dependent upon the number of credits you have earned or transferred as of the day your loan is certified by the Financial Aid Office. If your loan eligibility changes during the academic year due to credit hours earned or transferred, you must contact our office if you wish to be considered for additional loan funding. The following charts indicate loan eligibility per class year:


Dependent StudentsStafford Loan AmountUnsubsidized Loan Amount
Freshman: 0-30 credits $3,500 $2,000
Sophomore: 31-60 credits $4,500 $2,000
Junior: 61-90 credits* $5,500 $2,000
Senior: 91+ credits* $5,500 $2,000


Independent StudentsStafford Loan AmountUnsubsidized Loan Amount
Freshman: 0-30 credits $3,500 $6,000
Sophomore: 31-60 credits $4,500 $6,000
Junior: 61-90 credits* $5,500 $7,000
Senior: 91+ credits* $5,500 $7,000

*Note: Students cannot be considered Junior/Senior unless matriculated in the following programs: BS-RN, BS-RT.

  • In some instances, dependent students may have eligibility for Unsubsidized Direct loans over and above $2,000 that has already been awarded. This occurs when a parent of a dependent student becomes denied on a Parent PLUS loan credit check. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.
  • Parent PLUS loans are available to parents of dependent undergraduate students who are enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours). Parent is responsible for interest during the life of the loan. Maximum amount is cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student receives.
  • In cases where students do not demonstrate financial need in amounts that would allow for the maximum annual subsidized loan limit, the amount of your Direct Loans would be a combination of subsidized and unsubsidized or entirely unsubsidized.
  • Loan eligibility for the Subsidized Direct Loan can be affected by a change in the amount of another award or by the addition of other sources of financial aid (ex. outside scholarships).
  • A 1.072% origination fee will be assessed on your Direct Loans. This means that 98.928% of the Direct Loan will apply to your account.
  • A 4.288% origination fee will be assessed on the Direct Parent PLUS Loan. This means that 95.712% of the Parent PLUS loan will apply to your child’s account.
  • Direct Loans at Trocaire College are disbursed to your account in two disbursements per semester. Please consult your Student Handbook for disbursement dates.
  • If you have not previously borrowed a Federal Direct Loan, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (E-MPN). First-time borrowers must also complete an Entrance Counseling. Log on to to complete the MPN and/or Entrance Counseling.
  • Trocaire College does not participate in Federal Perkins Loans.


Entrance Counseling Instructions


    1.    Log on to

    2.    Click on green ‘sign in’ button on the left hand side. You will need your Social Security Number, the first 2 characters of your last name, your date of birth, and your PIN #. (If you do not remember your PIN #, log on to to retrieve it.)

    3.    Under Counseling, click ‘Complete Counseling’. Then you need to click on the first ‘Start’ button under the Entrance Counseling column.

    4.    Select TROCAIRE COLLEGE by checking the check box. If Trocaire does not appear then search for it by selecting NEW YORK in the ‘School State’ drop-down box and TROCAIRE COLLEGE in the ‘School Name’ drop-down box. Click ‘Add School.’

    5.    Select ‘I am completing entrance counseling to receive Direct Loans as an undergraduate student.’

    6.    Click the ‘Continue’ button.

    7.    There are five (5) main sections and within each main section are subsequent sections that you need to complete. Each of these sections and subsequent sections must be read in their entirety and you must answer everything that is being asked of you and especially those questions in the purple-colored boxes.
    a.    Section 1: Understand Your Loans – five (5) subsequent sections
    b.    Section 2: Plan to Repay – four (4) subsequent sections
    i.    NOTE: In this section, near the top, there are two (2) tabs that you must click on and enter the appropriate numbers before continuing.
    c.    Section 3: Avoid Default – three (3) subsequent sections
    i.    NOTE: In this section, near the top, there are two (2) tabs that you must click on and enter the appropriate numbers.
    d.    Section 4: Make Finances a Priority – five (5) subsequent sections
    e.    Section 5: Repayment Information – four (4) sections

    8.    Click on ‘Submit Counseling.’

    9.    The next page will show you an Exit Counseling Summary. You can print this page out for your records.

    10.    You have not finished at this point.

    11.    Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘View Completed Counseling.’

    12.    This page will list every counseling you may have completed. Please click on the blue words ‘View HTML’ for the ‘Sub/Unsub Entrance’ counseling you just completed. (It should be the very first one.)

    13.    Print this page out for your records.

        Exit Counseling Instructions

        1.    Go to the website of:

        2.    Click on the green ‘Sign In’ button. Enter your SSN, first two letters of your last name, your date of birth and your Federal PIN. If you do not remember your PIN then log on to and Request a Duplicate PIN.

        3.    Click on ‘Complete Counseling.’

        4.    Click on third ‘Start’ button under Exit Counseling box.

        5.    Click the box next to TROCAIRE COLLEGE. If Trocaire does not appear then please search for the school. Click ‘Add School.’

        6.    Click ‘Continue.’

        7.    There are five (5) main sections and within each main section there are subsequent sections that need to be completed. Each of these sections and subsequent sections must be read in their entirety and you must answer everything that is being asked of you and especially those questions in the purple colored boxes.
        •    Section 1: Understand Your Loans – three (3) subsequent sections
        •    Section 2: Plan to Repay – four (4) subsequent sections
        i.    NOTE: In this section, near the top, there are three (3) tabs that you must click on and enter the appropriate numbers before continuing.
        •    Section 3: Avoid Default – five (5) subsequent sections
        •    Section 4: Make Finances a Priority – four (4) subsequent sections
        •    Section 5: Repayment Information – one (1) section

        8.    In Section 5: Repayment Information you will be entering your current address, Driver’s License Number, phone number(s) and personal email address.

        9.    Still in Section 5, it will then ask you to enter your current employer’s information or check the box if you are currently unemployed.

        10.    Next enter your Next of Kin Information. This should be a person that is in your immediate family (ex. mom, dad, sibling). Or you can select a name from the drop-down box but please double check the information to make sure it is current.

        11.    Under Reference Information you will need two (2) references. These references MUST be different from your Next of Kin information and should be people you would keep in contact with in case you move or change your contact information.
        •    For each reference you will need:
        i.    Name
        ii.    Address
        iii.    Phone Number
        iv.    Relationship to you

        12.    Under Repayment Plan, you must select a repayment plan that you think would be the best choice for your situation. This will inform your individual lender(s) of the plan you prefer. If you change your mind then you must contact your lenders and notify them of which plan you would like to switch to.

        13.    Click ‘Submit Counseling.’

        14.    The next page will show you an Exit Counseling Summary. You can print this page out for your records.

        15.    You have not finished at this point.

        16.    Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘View Completed Counseling.’

        17.    This page will list every counseling you may have completed. Please click on the blue words ‘View HTML’ for the EXIT counseling you just completed. (It should be the very first one.)

        18.    Print this page out for your records.


          Alternative Loan Info

          Important Information Regarding Lenders

          Trocaire College's Financial Aid Office has adhered to specific criteria to assist students and families in receiving excellent customer service and quality loan products in the loan selection process. The criteria includes competitive rates, borrower benefits, customer service, problem resolution and technical support. Students have the right to select any lender of their choice and will suffer no penalty for selecting a lender who is not on our list.

          What should students and parents consider in selecting a lender?

          • Be sure that the lender you chose participates in processing your loan "electronically" with our college. If the lender uses a "paper only" process it can delay your financial aid. Our college, however, will always process your paperwork regardless of its format.
          • Check for a listing of various lenders
          • Check the terms and fine print carefully.

          How can I be sure that the above information is honest and accurate?

          New York State Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo has produced a booklet on the student lending business. The booklet explains your rights and responsibilities under federal and state laws regarding lending for college. You can download a copy of the booklet by going to to learn your rights and responsibilities and protect yourself before you make a financial commitment.

            • Please call or look at websites to evaluate lender benefits and the best loan option for you before applying. Ask about interest rates, forbearance (not paying until graduation), and benefits while in repayment.


          NOTE: All alternative loan borrows must submit a Self-Certification Form to the lender. Most lenders will provide this form to borrows. If needed a copy can be obtained at the Financial Aid Office.

          Further Questions?
          Please call the college at 716.826.1200 and ask for the Financial Aid Office.

          Important Loan Info

          The U.S. Department of Education's National Student Loan Data SystemSM (NSLDSSM) provides information on your federal loans including loan types, disbursed amounts, outstanding principal and interest, and the total amount of all your loans. To access NSLDS, go to

          If you're not sure who your loan servicer is, you can look it up on or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY 1-800-730-8913). To see a list of Federal Student Aid servicers for the Direct Loan Program and for FFEL Program Loans purchased by the U.S. Department of Education, go to the Loan Servicer page.

          Trocaire College Code of Conduct for Financial Aid Professionals. The Financial Aid Office will not participate in any agreements providing unfair advantage to a lender or result in financial benefits to the college or its employees.

          To resolve disputes with Federal Student Loans

          The federal student aid Ombudsman of the Department of Education helps resolve disputes and solve other problems. Go to for more information.

          Federal Student Loan Repayment Information

          Listed here are the current repayment plans that are offered for your Federal Student loans. For more information on a particular repayment plan, click on the repayment plan name.

          Standard Repayment Plan: You generally pay a fixed amount each month for up to 10 years.

          Graduated Repayment Plan: Your payments start out low at first and then will increase, usually every two years. You must repay your loan, in full, within 10 years.

          Extended Repayment Plan: Under this plan you must repay your loans, in full, within 25 years.

          Income Based Repayment (IBR): The required monthly payment is capped at an amount intended to be affordable based on your income and family size.

          Income Contingent Repayment Plan: Your monthly payments will be based on your annual income (and that of your spouse, if married), your family size, and total amount of your Direct Loans.

          Pay As You Earn Plan: This plan helps to keep your monthly student loan payments affordable and usually has the lowest monthly payment amount based on your income.


          Important Links

          Finding the funds to attend college may seem like quite a challenge, but we are here to help you! The following websites are available to provide you with an overview of Financial Aid.

          Fin Aid – The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid

          Financial Aid Process (in pictures!)

          National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)

          Federal Student Aid – An Office of the U.S. Department of Education

          Once you have reviewed the above links, here are a few more that are designed to give you the information and guidance needed to determine what college will cost you and how to find the funds to afford college. There are grants, scholarships, and work study opportunities to lower the cost of going to college and keep borrowing (loans) as low as possible. We want you to complete your college degree or certificate with the least amount of debt as possible, so you can have a good start in your future career without financial worry.

          Visit for a short video of an introduction to the FAFSA.

          FAFSA4caster - will help you understand your options for paying for college.

          Start Here, Get There – Student Financial Aid Awareness

          EFC Calculator – You can use this calculator to determine your/your parent’s estimated family contribution.  Please choose to use the Federal Methodology.

          New York State TAP Estimator – You can use this estimator if you (and your parents) are a resident of New York State and planning on attending Trocaire College full-time (12-19 credit hours).

          To request a FSA ID: (Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records and it is critical that it remain as secure as possible.)


          What is financial aid?

          Financial aid refers to any funds available to students and/or their parents to help compensate the cost of higher education. Funds come from federal, state, private, and institutional resources.

          Who should apply for financial aid?

          Any student needing assistance with the cost of higher education should apply for financial aid. Because not all federal aid is based on need, we encourage all students to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) regardless of family income.

          When should I apply for financial aid?

          You should apply for financial aid as soon as possible after January 1. We recommend that your income taxes are filed first before filing your FAFSA. To achieve the best financial aid package, you should complete and submit this information before April 1. You can file the FAFSA application online at

          What is financial need?

          Financial need is a formula the government uses to determine how much you should pay toward your own education. We start by adding all of your basic college costs, including tuition, fees, room and board, books, transportation, and personal expenses. We then subtract what you and your family can pay toward your basic costs (expected family contribution), this amount is calculated from your FAFSA form, and from this our office determines your financial need.

          Who is eligible to receive financial aid?

          Students who are accepted and registered for classes at Trocaire are eligible to receive financial aid. A student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Also, a student must not be in default on a prior student loan, owe a repayment of aid to the U.S. Department of Education.

          What is a financial aid package?

          Trocaire's financial aid counselors put together a financial aid package for students. Most receive a combination of different types of aid rather than just one kind. Students may have a package that includes grants, loan money, and possible scholarships.

          What forms are needed to apply for financial aid?

          You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. The application is available at You will need to use the most current year's taxes and W-2's (i.e. if filing 2011-2012 FAFSA then you will use your and/or your parents 2010 taxes).

          Do I have to apply for admission to Trocaire to be considered for financial aid?

          Yes, you must apply for admission before the Financial Aid Office can consider your eligibility for financial aid, including scholarships. You can apply online at or contact the Office of Admissions at 716.826.1200 ext. 2403 or ext. 2420.

          What is Trocaire's federal school code to be entered on my FAFSA?

          The federal code for Trocaire College is 002812.

          What types of financial aid are covered by the FAFSA?

          All forms of financial aid are covered, including Pell grants, supplemental grants, Direct Stafford loans, and work-study.

          What other types of financial aid are available?

          Other than federal aid, the most common sources of aid for Trocaire students comes from the New York State government and from the college itself. Awards come in the form of grants, scholarships, and loans. Typically, grants and scholarships are free money and do not need to be repaid. Loans have regular repayment schedules and usually do not need to be repaid until six (6) months after graduation or at the time of withdrawal from the college.

          What types of scholarships are available at Trocaire?

          There are a variety of scholarships available through Trocaire, including scholarships in the areas of academic excellence, degree programs, adult learner, female student, incoming freshmen, transfer student, ethnic, and financial need. A list is available online or in our Student Affairs Office. Once you complete your FAFSA, you will automatically be considered for all scholarships available at Trocaire.

          How can I be declared an independent student?

          For financial aid consideration, a student cannot be considered an independent student unless the student meets at least one of the criteria the federal government has established for determining what constitutes an independent student. Some examples are:

          Born before January 1, 1987
          Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
          Orphan or ward of the court
          Have legal dependents other than a spouse

          If you are estranged from your parents and this can be documented by an independent, professional third party (member of the clergy, social worker, counselor, etc.), please see a Trocaire financial aid counselor for assistance.

          Is financial aid available for the summer?

          Yes, if you are taking at least 6 credit hours. Please be aware if you are borrowing loans for the summer, they will subtract from how much you can borrow in the fall and spring semesters.

          If I withdraw from school do I have to pay back my financial aid?

          Students who withdraw from school may be expected to repay all or a portion of their financial aid. Any refundable amount used to pay tuition and fees is returned to the appropriate financial aid sources.

          Are there payment options available to pay my college costs not covered by grants, scholarships or loans?

          Any balance remaining after grants, scholarships and loans can be paid with cash, personal check, VISA or MasterCard. The college also offers a monthly payment plan, which divides the semester's balance into four manageable monthly payments through F.A.C.T.S. This option can be set up through Trocaire's billing office. In addition, many employers offer a tuition reimbursement benefit to qualified employees. Contact your employer to see if they participate in these benefits.

          Is work-study is a form of financial aid?

          This program provides jobs for students who need to supplement their earnings. Students are paid for work they perform at on-campus or off-campus jobs. Students who are eligible for the program must be enrolled at least half-time. More information about the work-study program and job openings is available in our Financial Aid Office.

          How many hours per week can I work under the work-study program?

          You can work usually between 5-10 hours per week. The hours can vary depending on placement and eligibility.

          How do I obtain financial aid as a second year student?

          If you were a previous loan borrower, you do not have to complete new promissory notes. However, the loan eligibility for the academic year has to be re-established. You begin the process by filing a renewal FAFSA after January 1 for the next academic year. This will be followed by a renewal TAP application. Through this process you will update your personal information and financial resources. The personal identification numbers (PIN) from the federal and state processors will remain the same and allow you to sign the applications electronically. Go to to begin the renewal process.

          Important Terms


          One of the criteria used to establish student eligibility in order to receive Title IV program assistance is that a student must have earned a high school diploma or its equivalent. Students who are not high school graduates (or who have not earned a General Education Development [GED] Certificate) can demonstrate that they have the "ability to benefit" from the education or training being offered by passing an approved ability-to-benefit (ATB) test.

          Academic Year

          A period of time schools use to measure a quantity of study. For example, a school's academic year may consist of a fall and spring semester during which a full-time undergraduate student must complete 24 semester hours. Academic years vary from school to school and even from education program to education program at the same school.


          The school must have accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to be eligible to participate in the administration of federal student aid programs. Accreditation means that the school meets certain minimum academic standards, as defined by the accrediting body.

          Award Letter

          An award letter from a school states the type and amount of financial aid the school is willing to provide if you accept admission and register to take classes at that school.


          With certain loans, such as subsidized FFEL Loans, the U.S. Department of Education pays the interest that accrues on those loans while the student is enrolled at least half-time and during periods of deferment. However, with subsidized loans in forbearance, unsubsidized loans or PLUS Loans, the student or the student's parents and graduate or professional degree students are responsible for paying the interest as it accrues on these loans. When the interest is not paid, it is capitalized or added to the principal balance, which increases the outstanding principal amount due on this loan. Interest that is capitalized and, therefore, has been added to the original amount of the loan subsequently accrues interest, adding an additional expense to the loan.

          Cost of Attendance (COA)

          The total amount it will cost you to go to school - usually expressed as a yearly figure. It's determined using rules established by law. The COA includes tuition and fees; on-campus room and board (or a housing and food allowance for off-campus students); and allowances for books, supplies, transportation, loan fees, and, if applicable, dependent care. It also includes miscellaneous and personal expenses, including an allowance for the rental or purchase of a personal computer. Costs related to a disability are also covered. The COA includes reasonable costs for eligible study-abroad programs as well. For students attending less than half-time, the COA includes tuition and fees and an allowance for books, supplies, transportation and dependent care expenses; but can also include room and board for up to three semesters or the equivalent at the institution, but no more than two of those semesters or the equivalent may be consecutive. Talk to the financial aid administrator at the school you're planning to attend if you have any unusual expenses that might affect your cost of attendance.


          Failure to repay a loan according to the terms agreed to when you signed a promissory note. For the FFEL and Direct Loan programs, default is more specific - it occurs if you fail to make a payment for 270 days if you repay monthly (or 330 days if your payments are due less frequently). The consequences of default are severe. Your school, the lender or agency that holds your loan, the state and the federal government may all take action to recover the money, including notifying national credit bureaus of your default. This may affect your credit rating for as long as seven years. For example, you might find it difficult to borrow money from a bank to buy a car or a house. In addition, the Internal Revenue Service can withhold your U.S. Individual income tax refund and apply it to the amount you owe, or the agency holding your loan might ask your employer to deduct payments from your paycheck. Also, you may be liable for loan collection expenses. If you return to school, you're not entitled to receive additional federal student financial aid. Legal action also might be taken against you. In many cases, default can be avoided by submitting a request for a deferment, forbearance, discharge or cancellation and by providing the required documentation.

          Eligible Noncitizen

          You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid: * U.S. Citizen * U.S. National (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island) * U.S. Permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card) If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations: * "Refugee" * "Asylum Granted" * "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending" * "Conditional Entrant" (Valid only if issued before April 1, 1980) * Victims of human trafficking, T-visa (T-2, T-3, or T-4, etc.) holder * "Parolee" (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United Stated for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.) If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you're not eligible for federal student financial aid. If you're in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you're not eligible for federal student financial aid. Also, people with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for federal student financial aid. For more information about other types of visas that are not acceptable, check with your school's financial aid office. Citizens and eligible noncitizens may receive loans from the FFEL Program at participating foreign schools. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants or Federal Work Study. These applicants should check with their schools' financial aid office for more information.

          Eligible Program

          A program of organized instruction or study that leads to an academic, professional or vocational degree or certificate, or other recognized educational credential. To receive federal student financial aid, you must be enrolled in an eligible program, with two exceptions: * If a school has told you that you must take certain course work to qualify for admission into one of its eligible programs, you can get a Stafford Loan for up to 12 consecutive months while you're completing that preparatory course work. You must be enrolled at least half-time, and you must meet the usual federal student financial aid eligibility requirements. * If you're enrolled at least half-time in a program to obtain a professional credential or certification required by a state for employment as an elementary or secondary school teacher, you can get a Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study, a Stafford Loan, or your parents can get a PLUS Loan, while you're enrolled in that program.

          Expected Family Contribution

          Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the number that's used to determine your eligibility for federal student financial aid. This number results from the financial information you provided in your FAFSA application. Your EFC is reported to you on your Student Aid Report (SAR).

          Financial Aid Package

          The total amount of financial aid (federal and nonfederal) a student is offered by the school. The financial aid administrator at a postsecondary institution combines various forms of aid into a "package" to help meet a student's education costs. Using available resources to give each student the best possible package of aid is one of the aid administrator's major responsibilities. Because funds are often limited, an aid package might fall short of the amount a student needs to cover the full cost of attendance. Also, the amount of federal student aid in a package is affected by other sources of aid received (scholarships, state aid, etc.).

          General Education Development (GED) Certificate

          This is a certificate students receive if they've passed a specific, approved high school equivalency test. Students who have a GED may still qualify for federal student aid. A school that admits students without a high school diploma must make available a GED program in the vicinity of the school and must inform students about the program.

          Guaranty Agency

          The guaranty agency is an organization that administers the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program in your state. The agency is the best source of information on FFEL Loans. For the name, address and telephone number of the agency serving your state, you can contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID.


          At schools measuring progress in credit hours and semesters, trimesters, or quarters, "half-time" is at least six semester hours or quarter hours per term for an undergraduate program. At a school measuring progress by credit hours but not using semesters, trimesters, or quarters, "half-time" is at least 12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours per year. At schools measuring progress by clock hours, "half-time" is at least 12 hours per week. Note that schools may choose to set higher minimums than these. You must be attending school at least half-time to be eligible for a Stafford Loan. Half-time enrollment is not a requirement to receive aid from the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study and Federal Perkins Loan programs.

          National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

          NSLDS is our database for federal student financial aid where you can find out about the aid you've received. If you've only just applied for aid, you won't find any information on NSLDS yet. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies and U.S. Department of Education programs. The NSLDS Web site is generally available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By using your PIN, you can get information on federal loan and Pell Grant amounts, outstanding balances, the status of your loans and disbursements made. You can access NSLDS at

          Promissory Note

          A promissory note is a binding legal document you sign when you get a student loan. It lists the conditions under which you're borrowing and the terms under which you agree to pay back the loan. It will include information on how interest is calculated and what deferment and cancellation provisions are available to the borrower. It's very important to read and save this document because you'll need to refer to it later when you begin repaying your loan or at other times when you need information about provisions of the loan, such as deferments or forbearances.

          Regular Student

          A regular student is one who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree, certificate or other recognized education credential offered by that institution. Generally, to receive federal student financial aid from the programs discussed in this guide, you must be a regular student. There are exceptions to this requirement for some programs.

          Satisfactory Academic Progress

          To be eligible to receive federal student financial aid, you must meet and maintain your school's standards of satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, certificate or other recognized education credential offered by that institution. Generally, to receive federal student financial aid from the programs discussed in this guide, you must be a regular student. There are exceptions to this requirement for some programs.

          Selective Service Registration

          To receive federal student financial aid, if you are a male born on or after Jan. 1, 1960, are at least 18 years old, and are not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, you must register, or arrange to register, with the Selective Service System. (Citizens of the Federated States or Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands or the Republic of Palau are exempt from registering.)

          Student Aid Report

          After you apply for federal student financial aid, you'll get your FAFSA results in an e-mail report within a few days after your FAFSA has been processed or by mail in a few weeks. This report is called a Student Aid Report or SAR. Your SAR details all the information you provided on your FAFSA. If there are no corrections or additional information you must provide, the SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is the number that's used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid. Whether you applied online or by paper, we will automatically send your data electronically to the schools you listed on your FAFSA.

          *These Important Terms have been excerpted from the U.S. Department of Education - The Guide to Federal Student Aid.

          Tax Credits

          Listed below are a number of federal income tax credits that are available to parents and students. Please consult with a professional tax advisor to see if you qualify.

          American Opportunity/Hope Credit.

          Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, more parents and students may qualify over the next two years for a tax credit, the American Opportunity credit, to pay for college expenses. The new credit modifies the existing Hope credit for tax years 2009 and 2010, making the Hope credit available to a broader range of taxpayers, including those with higher incomes and those who owe no tax. It also adds required course materials to the list of qualifying expenses and allows the credit to be claimed for four post-secondary education years instead of two. Many of those eligible will qualify for the maximum annual credit of $2,500 per student.

          Lifetime Learning Credit.

          You may be able to claim a federal individual income Lifetime Learning credit of up to $2,000 for qualified tuition and related expenses per family. The Lifetime Learning Tax credit reduces the amount of federal income taxes you may have to pay. A taxpayer cannot claim both a Lifetime Learning credit and an American Opportunity/Hope credit for the same student in the same year.

          Tuition and Fees Tax Deduction and Student Loan Interest Deduction

          These deductions allow you to subtract a portion of your tuition and fees from your taxable income and to deduct up to $2,500 of the interest you pay on your student loan each year (or on any student loans you take out for your spouse's or child's education).

          Most tax benefits have income limits; to learn more about each program, see IRS publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education. Also, be sure to consult a professional tax advisor.

          In addition, funds from your IRA, 529 college savings plan or Coverdell Education Savings Account may be withdrawn without a tax penalty to pay for qualified education expenses. There's also a tax break if you use certain U.S. savings bonds to pay for college.

          The Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP) provides part-time employment while you are enrolled at the college. It is available to full-time and part-time students. Currently, students can earn $8.50 per hour for on-campus positions and $9.50 per hour for off-campus positions. We encourage students to take positions in the community service or work related to your course of study whenever possible.

          Work-study eligibility is determined through the FAFSA. To be eligible there must be a demonstrated financial need. Due to the limited number of positions available, we request that the student file a FWSP application. This application is available by using the link under resources at the right of this page.

          Students interested in applying for the positions must contact the financial aid office first to determine if they have eligibility. If they do have eligibility, then the student will be notified by letter. If your qualifications meet the criteria for a position, then your application is forwarded to that department. The corresponding supervisor will then contact the student for an interview for the position.

          If the student is hired, then he/she will need to make an appointment with the work-study coordinator, David Schwab, to file the required paperwork. Students cannot begin employment until this paperwork is completed. Please keep in mind that most positions are only available during the school day. Generally, students work an average of 5-10 hours a week and 15 weeks a semester.

          These positions offer great work experience that can be applied to jobs you may hold in the future.

          If you wish to participate in work-study, download a work-study application online or pick one up in the financial aid office.

          Please contact David Schwab at (716) 827-2567 if you have any questions.